Pages

Nursery

Sunday, July 31, 2011

So, we've been in this new/ old ward for me for a little over a month now, and we just got called to nursery.
Nursery!
I was very excited at first, especially because this is the first calling Robbie and I have had together. And I mean, come on, my job is to entertain children, I thought, how bad can it be?
Well, I sort of froze today. 
I always feel bad when I don't like the way people teach, like in this ward, in my opinion, Sunday school just wasn't all that great. I was bored. I tried my best to get something out of the lessons, but it was really hard and I'll leave it at that. Last Sunday I was asked to sub as the Primary pianist, which was awesome. I've always felt like I've learned more in Primary through the music and the children. And it's nice! To see their faces light up when they've learned something new, or something finally clicked, or you can tell that they feel the spirit but don't know how to explain it. It's more than lovely, Primary is fantastic.
I figured Nursery was going to be similar, just more playing and lots more screaming. That's how it was in the old ward. I don't know what was going on today but I felt really lost and confused...I guess there was no lesson because the Sister giving it wasn't there, and the children only know three church songs? I don't know what I was expecting, but it wasn't that. 
It was nice to be with Robbie, who kept giving me encouraging looks when I looked like I was going to cry. And Sister Evenson is there, she was one of my YW counselors when I was in YW. Also, my VT companion and teachee are in there too, and the three of them are super awesome. 
The kids are pretty cool too...there's just about 15 against 4-5 adults. They said that there used to be only 2 adults. Oh dear...
I just felt like there needed to be an adult leader, someone who we could all sit down with and plan the next week, games we could play, stories we could tell. I know I have loads of ideas on how to make stories from the scriptures interactive and fun. One person to make the final call on what worked and what didn't, what we should do again and what we shouldn't. One person to buy snacks, and not everyone just buying something and bringing it. How are you supposed to know what to bring, if you're supposed to bring anything. 
Maybe I am over thinking things. I also felt drained. I'm not a very imaginative person. I don't make up imaginary places, I can't have an imaginary conversation with an imaginary person over the phone. I'm just not very believable. And after about an hour total of playtime over the two hours, making sure everyone was happy, no one was hurting anyone or themselves, and playing with them I felt drained. 
Best. Moment. Ever.
This little girl is very aggressive, and for some reason, maybe trying to get my attention, I don't know, she decides to step up onto me (I'm on the floor playing with a couple kids). It hurts, and so I ask her not to do that. Then she tries again, this time pulling my hair. I tell her no, and then she says she can hit me if she wants to! I was not having any of that. I told her if she hit me or anyone else she would be put in a time out. She stomps angrily away, forgetting everything and picking up another toy in a matter of seconds, and this little boy who saw the whole thing (he was in the group I was playing with) gets up and kisses my head where the little girl had pulled my hair. At first I was confused, thinking here was another kid coming to attack me, but then I realized what he had done and I was touched. It made me so happy. I'm used to kids kicking me, hugging me, whatever. But kissing my head to make me feel better because someone else hurt me? That was a new one. One I'll never forget. 
Matthew 18
 1 At the same time came the disciples unto Jesus, saying, Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?
 2 And Jesus called a little child unto him, and set him in the midst of them,
 3 And said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.
 4 Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven.
 5 And whoso shall receive one such little child in my name receiveth me.

I love working with kids. I hope this is just shock of entering a new system, and I'll soon figure it out and not feel so lost and confused. Hopefully I'll have a good story like this every week too. I always know that I can learn something from children that you can't always learn from adults. You have to watch, listen, and love them. I hope they keep us here for a long time.
 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS