March 18th - Sleeping Beauty

Saturday, March 18, 2017

"We are the hero of our own story."



"In every one of us there lies a sleeping beauty 
waiting to be awakened through love. 

Because she has slumbered for so long, she must be awakened 

very 

gently. 

But instead of waiting for Prince Charming to storm the palace gates, 

you must summon the magic powers of your authentic self to break any cruel enchantment that has left you unaware of your own glory."


There are many different ways that a girl can prick her finger, 
become numb, fall into a deep sleep...

I know I did once. 

My friend one day just looked at me and told me that I didn't have any spark in me at all, that I looked blank, that there was no light in my eyes. 
All of a sudden I realized she was right.

I can't tell you how I pricked my finger, it's too personal. 

Some stories just are.



Sarah told a story about a little girl; a photographer chose to take a picture of her next to a garbage pile because there was a garbage strike and he wanted to emphasize the size of the piles. It was printed in the paper and she was teased as being "just a pile of garbage." 
She pricked her finger, she "became numb to her own beauty... 


If that young girl had not pricked her finger, would she have retreated to her bed every afternoon and sought comfort in the world of books? When she became older would she have studied theater to learn the secrets of make-believe? Would she have traveled to London and Paris to write about fashion in order to learn about style? 

I think not, and I should know."




"It's hard to tell our bad luck from our good luck sometimes. 
Hard to tell sometimes for many years to come. 
And most of us have wept copious tears over someone or something 
when if we'd understood the situation better we might have 
celebrated our good fortune instead."


If Sarah hadn't pricked her finger, 
she never would have become the person she is today. 


She asks you to look, to think...
"What was your spindle? Was there a moment when you pricked yourself and fell into a deep slumber? Or did you just slowly shut down? Perhaps the cruel enchantment was caused by overly critical parents, by a devastating breakup, or by a numbing reliance on food, drugs, or alcohol."

Of course these are just a few ideas to get your own thoughts flowing. 



I slowly shut down. 
Every time I chose not to ask for more out of life, 
every time I said to myself I have to accept this, 

Even though we accept our realities
there are things in this life you don't have to accept

You can ask for the best in life. 




You can chose to wake up.




"It is time to awaken, sleeping beauty.

Your creativity, imagination, and authentic sense of style are far superior to any sorcerer's spell, no matter how strong."



"One can never change the past
only the hold it has on you...

and while nothing in your life is reversible, 
you can reverse it nevertheless."
-Merle Shain







***
Gratitude Journal
***

1) Good friends, that you can not see or hang out with for what feels like years (and it probably has been something like that long) and you get back together and it's like there was never a time when you didn't see each other. Everything just feels right.

2) Watching kids play. Today they were fairies and butterflies. Jacob came up to me and told me he was a butterfly and showed me how he flew. Riley the cute thing that she is had to keep asking me to put her wings back on. Chase just kept hitting things with the lightsaber. 

3) Robbie and his dad. It is amazing what they can do. They can literally turn my dreams into a reality. Even though they didn't even get done half of what the plan was for today, I am so grateful for their skill and time. $60.
Before
During

After...almost done!


4) Good food. Oh my goodness, who knew chicken and waffles could be so good? Or that I could make better fried chicken than kfc?! Well, at least I think it's better.

5) It's Shelby's birthday tomorrow. I don't know quite how I'm going to manage the crushing weight on my chest...Grieving has been easier this past week, but it's still so hard. I miss her. I'm grateful that I had something so amazing to miss. Better to have loved and lost...and to know that I didn't lose her, that it's just for a little while...

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS