February 25th - Priorities

Saturday, February 25, 2017

"Learn to get in touch with the silence within yourself 
and know that everything in this life has a purpose."


Again, today Sarah is right on point.

Start Quote
Most women I know have only one conscious priority

making it through the day. 

This is a direct result of having been torn in a thousand different directions in any one twenty-four hour period for decades. 

Writer, pilot, wife, and mother Anne Morrow Lindbergh calls it 
'the centrifugal forces of today' that pull at women.

But acknowledging, recognizing, and reordering our priorities so that they can give purpose to our days is a deeply personal task that we all need to do if we are to learn how to live by our own lights. 

A priority is anything that is important to you...
Priorities are not written in granite. 
They need to be flexible and change as we do...

It takes peace of mind and clarity to recognize and reorder 
meaningful, personal priorities. 

Maybe that is why so many of us procrastinate.



Many of us assume that we can continue to get along just by 
'winging it' indefinitely. 

We can't. 

We need an antidote for the hurried and harried lives that 
threaten to tear us apart. 
End Quote



"Quiet time alone, contemplation, prayer, music, a centering line of thought or reading, of study or work. It can be physical or intellectual or artistic, any creative life proceeding from oneself. It need not be an enormous project or a great work. But it should be something of one's own...
What matters is that one be for a time inwardly attentive."
-Anne Morrow Lindbergh



A couple years ago I definitely needed to get my priorities in order. 

I think it's a continual process, even though I'm better now, I still have a ways to go.

 One of the things that has helped me is creating a schedule, and in my schedule I make quiet time a personal priority. It's either in the morning before everyone gets up, or during nap time where I either read, or clean, or think, or make something, and then the quiet hour of typing as I write my blog with only the sound of the keys and Robbie and I breathing (and occasionally a deep sigh from the dog). 


I wish I could shout it to the world.

I'm calmly telling myself (who likes anyone shouting at them) that I need to take another look at my schedule and re order my priorities.  

Get your priorities in order, stop making excuses about it, and just start doing what you want to do. 

What are some of your priorities?




***
Gratitude Journal
***

1) Birthdays. The birthday celebrations are ongoing. Not only did I celebrate last week, now I've got something to celebrate every day this next week. I'm so happy I was born. There is so much to celebrate!

2) Shelby. I always loved hearing about her birth story. How when they found out that she had spina bifida  that they were sent to someone to talk about their "options". Not only were my parents thoroughly briefed on what her chances were at a healthy life, they highly recommended abortion. Now any of you that have ever met my beautiful sister, can you ever imagine life without her? I can't. From the beginning she defied all the odds; she wasn't a vegetable, she wasn't retarded, she learned to walk and after a few surgeries was mostly independent. She was amazing, is amazing. I wonder if they celebrate birthdays in heaven. 

3) It would have been my Grandpa Veater's birthday tomorrow. He passed away in July last year. I always loved how I almost came on his birthday, and how he always said it would have been the best birthday present ever. Almost. Just a little belated. 

4) Time. It's amazing how as time goes on life changes. We used to have great February birthday parties for the Veater family, but as death and time and other things have split our family apart a little, the birthday parties aren't so grand. But that's okay. Little parties mean just as much, and the memories that are a little hazy are still bright and always will be. I try and tell my kids when they are freaking out because we have to stop doing something they love doing like leave the park, "Didn't we have fun? Let's remember how much fun we had, and not spoil it. We'll come back, we'll do this again soon."

5) The Plan of Salvation.  I'd love to say I can't wait to see those that have passed on, but I can. It's hard to wait patiently, missing them hurts and aches the heart like nothing else can. But the hope in Christ, and the faith that I have that God is a loving Heavenly Father who did not just put us on this earth to torture us but to give us a chance to come back to him and experience joy unmeasurable...it makes waiting easier. It makes the waiting worth it. It makes trying to be the best I can be, even when I don't want to, worth it. It makes trying again and again worth it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS