February 26th - Reverence

Sunday, February 26, 2017

Sarah defines reverence as: 

"The altered state of consciousness when you feel awe and wonder because you know you are in the presence of Spirit. 

Reverence enwraps you in perfect peace...
and you are one with Heaven and earth. 

There is no distinction between body and soul. 

Meditation can sometimes spiritually induce this 
special moment of Wholeness, as does creating something beautiful...

Concentrating on one task at a time with care and attentiveness 
can invoke reverence as well. 

...Gratitude is the gateway to experiencing more reverence in our daily lives.

...Real Life - the real life of joy we are meant to be living - begins when we restore a sense of reverence to our daily affairs. 

Today, search for the Sacred in the ordinary with gratitude in your heart and you will surely find it."



"Reverence is profound respect and love." -LDS 
Go read the rest of the article!




Sundays are the perfect day to reflect on reverence. It's really hard to be reverent when we don't prepare, and when we take an external locus of control attitude. 

We have to plan in order for reverence to happen, otherwise chaos ensues. 

We also need an to have an internal locus of control attitude, 
that we are in charge of how we feel. 

Anyone who has ever gone to church with young children knows how hard it is to try and have that reverent spirit about you. Just for example today in Sacrament meeting: Chase was farting for a good 10 minutes before he finally pooped, Jacob peed all over himself when he tried to go to the bathroom and Robbie didn't have the diaper bag on him, later Jacob was climbing all over the father of the family we sit next too (literally climbing on him, it took me and their 19 year old son to pull him off), I went up to sing in the choir and Robbie was off changing a diaper so Jacob and Riley stayed with the family we sit next to and Jacob yelled for everyone to hear "That's my mom! She's the best singer ever.".....Never have I ever said those words in that order in my life, I have no idea where he got that, and I'm grateful that he thinks that I'm the best singer in the world, and that everyone else in the chapel thought it was cute. 

That is just a small taste of what happened...
in one hour...
when we are trying to be reverent...

It's hard, and it can be easy to make excuses. My children are too wild, there is too much noise, I don't want to turn off the tv or the music, there is too much to do, I can't make quiet time for myself or my family...

But you can have a feeling of reverence. No matter what is going on around you you can still be grateful, find the sacred in the ordinary, and foster a sense of love and respect...and that's all you, no matter what is going on on the outside. 

Sure my kids were going crazy during Sacrament meeting, sure I didn't hear every word or all the talks, but I felt the peace that trying to be reverent brought. I felt the spirit as I asked Riley to fold her arms for the prayer and watched her as she did so (praying has never looked so good). I watched her as she copied me, I try to read the sacrament hymn again and so I had the book open and so she had to have her book open too, looking at hers as I was looking at mine, and being reminded that they watch everything and that I have to be a good example and that I'm doing better than I think I am.  And remembering my covenants to try and try again, and thinking about my Savior and how I can be more like him. 


Reverence begins with me.





***
Gratitude Journal
***
1) Golden hour and golden dresses. We had ward conference today, and afterwards a ward linner. The kids didn't eat much, they just wanted to play. Who can blame them? 
 Would you look at this kid? This is what he gave me when I asked him to smile.
They sure do love their daddy. 

Isn't she the most precious creature you've ever laid eyes on? 
She was wearing a gold dress in the golden hour, I couldn't help myself.




2) I learned a lot today during second hour. They spoke on Teaching in the Savior's Way. I all of a sudden realized that this wasn't just for teaching lessons in church, it's for me to be a better parent. I'm so grateful for my Savior. 

3) Cousins. I am so blessed. Here is my arrangement that I did of I am a Child of God for my sister. I arranged it in a week, my cousins learned it in 2 days, and we performed it at my sister's funeral. We're much better now, the sound quality is awful and the florescent light makes me look like an alien, but it's enough for you to get the gist of it. Aren't my cousins beautiful? And all of us sitting together isn't it crazy how much we look alike? I love it. 

4) Artichoke jalepeno dip from costco, the office, and Robbie sleep talking. He's awake, but he's not awake, and he's talking to me, but he's completely irrational....it's freaking hilarious. He's funny even when he's not trying. I'm getting text messages, and because my phone is down stairs and not on silent we can hear it...he just said to me "who is sending you booty calls"...you're welcome.

5) Choir. Jacob has been coming to choir with me for a couple weeks now because it's right during the time that the twins are sleeping and so Robbie wants to take a nap too. I would love to sleep, and I would love it if Jacob would sleep...but he refuses, and I have choir, so together we go so the other three can sleep. Grumpy twins and a grumpy husband do not make for a very fun Sunday. He plays with his toys, is pretty darn quiet for a 3 year old, and sometimes will sing with us a little. I am kind of loving taking him with me, it's been a cool bonding time with him.




No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS