March 22nd - Something Borrowed

Thursday, March 23, 2017

"I was thought to be 'stuck up'.

I wasn't.

I was just sure of myself.

This is and always has been an unforgivable quality to the unsure."



I love this quote.
There is a huge difference between being confident and stuck up. 
This confusion between the two will sometimes have people believe that they can't be confident without being stuck up. There's also a confusion about being humble. You can be humble and confident, they are not exclusive. 




Most of us LDS folk have heard that you can only borrow a testimony for so long. You can't rely on another's testimony forever, 
but you can borrow it for awhile. 

It's not wrong to borrow from others while you work on your own.

But you do need to work on your own.

And it's not just a testimony that borrowing works for, 
it's other things too, 
like self-confidence.  




"Every new opportunity or challenge requires 
that I prepare a special batch of moxie for myself.

I do this by becoming as thoroughly prepared as possible 
and by looking the part - 
wearing an outfit, for example, that exudes self-confidence...

Next I say my prayers and ask for the Power to be switched on.

Then 'it's showtime.' 

I ACT as if I'm self-confident and the world takes me as such.



When you're unsure of yourself but life requires you to be otherwise, it is comforting to remember that you can always borrow a self-confident attitude from your authentic self. 


She knows how terrific you are and can give you that little boost...

Our subconscious mind cannot distinguish between what's real and what's imaginary (which is why creative visualization works).

If we act as if we're confident, we become so.

At least for a little while. 


'You must do the thing you think you cannot do'
-Eleanor Roosevelt

When life challenges arise, you can surmount them by calling on Spirit and borrowing the scent of self-confidence from your authentic self."




I don't know about you but I do this all the time. I wake up in the morning and think "how in the world am I going to make it through the day?" and then I prepare myself and try and act as if I have all the patience in the world for my kids, and what do you know it helps. 

I hate making phone calls, but I summon up the courage and act as if I am a confident and well spoken woman, and what do you know I sound like I am, by the end of the call I usually feel like I am too.

I am a hermit at heart, so when I have to be social by golly I prep myself up and then act as if I love being surrounded by tons of people and talking with them, and what do you know I usually end up having a pretty good time. 



Have you ever seen the movie We Bought a Zoo? I love one of the sayings.

"You know, sometimes all you need is twenty seconds of insane courage. 
Just literally twenty seconds of just embarrassing bravery. 
And I promise you, something great will come of it."
-Benjamin Mee





Feel free to borrow some moxie from your authentic self.







***
Gratitude Journal
***

1) Robbie. He is always there for me, and he's so smart and helpful. He made me cry because he was so awesome. I don't know what I would do without him. Probably go crazy.

2) Bad days. You want to hear something funny? I've been asked if I have gone off my meds because I said I was having bad days. Everyone has bad days. I'm just a little more open about mine since I'm writing a blog post every day for 365 days. Not everything is cupcakes and rainbows.  But the point is to try and learn to dance in the rain...it all depends on your perspective. Bad days help you to realize that you may just need to turn around. 


3) Hitting a wall. When you lock yourself in the bathroom so you can cry, and you call your husband saying you need some serious help...you've hit a wall. It hurts, but it's better than the alternative. The alternative is to keep doing what you're doing, even though it's not working. This is where Robbie came in. He helped. Sure I wish I didn't need the wall to help me realize it, but I'm glad I hit it. 

4) This quote that came across my new feed today.

5) Adjusting the sails. Reorganizing your priorities. Saying no and cutting stuff that is unnecessary or causing stress in your life. Asking for help, planning on things that you look forward to and looking for the sacred in the ordinary...it helps. 
I don't think "it helps" adequately describes it, it's so much more than just helps. 
It heals. 

6) My weekly me time. I don't think I took my Wednesday night off last week, I wanted to spend time with my family...well by today I was feeling it. I needed some me time...when will I ever learn? Take it every week or else you go a little crazy. A bath and self administered mani pedi do wonders for the soul. Also painting your nails red to add some spice to your life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS