October 15th - Quality

Sunday, October 15, 2017



Start Quote
We know now that there are many aspects to real life
 in which our opinion is neither sought nor required. 
[Well, some people know this...
others still need to learn it.] 

Sometimes, despite our best efforts and positive thinking, 
health, fortune, and/or peace elude us.  

But the one thing we do have absolute control over 
is the quality of our days. 

Even when we're grief stricken, racked with pain,
sick from worry, deeply depressed, squeezed by circumstances
- how we greet, meet, and complete each day is our choosing.  


We hate to hear this. 

Of course, when we're sick, worried, grieving, depressed, or frantic,
we're not very interested in the day's quality;
we just want the misery to end.

But wishing the day away is also a creative choice,
even if it's not a deliberate one.

Artists of the everyday excel in elevating 
the simple to the level of the Sacred.  

You can use whatever you have on hand
- a meal, a conversation, humor, affection -
to create comfort and contentment - to put a positive spin, 
if not on the overall quality of the day,
then on critical moments of it...  

I have been conducting a top-secret experiment with life...
I wanted to see just how much influence 
I really had on the day's character.  
So the first words I speak in the morning are
"Thank you for the gift of this wonderful day."

Here are the initial findings,
but you will not like them.
[I certainly didn't].

  • All the days are wonderful in direct proportion to the creative energy invested in them. No investment, no return.
  • Even lousy days possess hidden wonder. Sometimes all you need is a moment of attitude adjustment to shift your perception of an entire afternoon and move forward into a pleasant evening. 
  • Weather does not seem to affect the experiment. Gray, cold, and rainy days spent in an office are just as susceptible to the warming influence of enthusiasm as are sunny days spent lying in a hammock sipping sangria.
  • Days that are expected to be wonderful before they begin turn out to be so much more frequently than days greeted with grumbling. 
  • The results of this experiment suggest that it doesn't matter whether a day is good or bad. What matters is what we do without it.

[But] we knew that.
End Quote 




Of course, lds.org is under maintenance right now or something,  
so it's not allowing me to find the ensign article, 
but when it's working again go check out President Monson's 
Living the Abundant Life. 



Of course, this is easier said then done. 
Have you ever tried to change a flat tire? 
Let me tell you, it isn't easy. 
Robbie says yes it is, but have you seen the muscles on my man?

But I'm sure it would get easier if I practiced.

Nobody said we had to have a good attitude all the time,
but lets admit, life is better when our attitude is happy.

So let's just try. 
Sure, there will be days when you can't,
there will be days when you are overwhelmed with any little thing
but let's just try.

No matter what circumstance or situation is thrown our way,
whether we put our self there or it was thrust upon us,
let's try to have a good attitude about it. 
 
And I'm sure we'll find that our quality of life has improved.









***
Gratitude Journal
***

1) I was going to take a picture of my outfit, but then I got into my pjs and completely forgot. I just wanted to share, I make this mom thing look good. 9 o'clock and still looking fierce. Thank you Rebekah for the rimmel lipstick! It is an amazing color.


 2) We had 24 hours without the kids! I needed a break, and it was amazing.

3) Sleep. I'm so grateful for uninterrupted sleep. And we slept in! 11:30 am. I didn't even know that was possible.

4) Not having to make dinner, thank you to Robbie's mom! They watched our kids all day, and then made dinner. Amazing.

5) Plans. I love making plans. We talked about the laundry room and the backyard. Robbie is going to work on them during Christmas break, and I'm super excited about them.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS