October 2nd - Workaholics

Monday, October 2, 2017





Start Quote
Like a phantom lover, 
work charms, cajoles, comforts, and caresses.

Our work - especially if it's our grand passion -
can be so seductive that we can find ourselves 
completely caught up in its rapture, unable to resist.

[She makes it sound wonderful, doesn't she?]

However, work doesn't have to be a grand passion 
for us to be swept away;
an infatuation can just as conveniently distract us 
from whatever is disappointing, disagreeable, 
or disturbing elsewhere in our lives.

When you simply can't deal with real life,
a fax that needs to be answered immediately
can be a fine friend.


The ultimate seduction is often accompanied 
by the ultimate addictions:
workaholism and perfectionism.

What makes these two reckless behavior patterns so dangerous 
is that they're sanctioned, supported, and sustained 
by a society still shackled to the Puritan work ethic. 

The Puritans frowned on anything enjoyable
believing that God's favor could be achieved only by 
grueling struggle, stringent self-discipline, 
and backbreaking work...

[And while struggle, self-discipline, and work 
are necessary for success,]
Spirit can't use us to heal the world 


I and many of my friends are workaholics.
Even kryptonite can't stop us.
For years, we've all vehemently denied it.
Now, in conversations, we're able to admit
"tendencies toward," much the way an 
alcoholic admits to being a social drinker.


 These tendencies include 
  • working long hours during the week;
  • bringing work home with you on the weekends and vacations;
  •  turning on the computer after the kids are in bed;
  • sneaking in work, one way or another, seven days a week;
  • referring to the perusal of contracts as "reading" 
  • canceling dates with friends and family to finish up "one more thing";
  • postponing pleasure until a deadline is met;
  • carrying a cellular phone;
  • installing a fax at the beach condo;
  • starting one project before finishing another;
  • letting work interrupt precious private or family time...
  • and squeezing the only "vacations" into business trips...
 
 
 If you hear yourself frequently muttering under your breath,
"This is insane,"
the time has come to quietly scrutinize your working style...

Start small. 
Be sneaky.
Think baby steps.
The same savvy that got you into this mess
can help you escape.
 
Take the work home but don't open the briefcase.
Turn on the answering machine during dinner and in the evening.
Take a day off every two weeks...

When we succumb to workaholism, 
what's really happening is that we've lost faith 
in Spirit's willingness to help us achieve success.

We've separated the secular from the spiritual.

Asking for grace doesn't seem as practical 
as working around the clock.
 
When was the last time Spirit accompanied you to work?
When was the last time you asked It to?
End Quote 
 
 
 
You have to remember,
it's all connected. 
Everything about you and your life is connected.
 
You have to keep an eternal perspective.
 
If you're a workaholic, why?
Are you distracting yourself 
or do you just love it so much 
you put everything else 
you love in jeopardy?

There must be balance in your life.
you have to figure it out.
 
This is something I have to work on every single day.
I would love to just work on a project until it was finished,
completely ignoring everything else.
It takes a lot of effort to put something down
and go do other things I need to do. 
I'm 50/50. Part of me longs for the distraction,
the other part loves work that isn't laundry or cleaning.
 
I know you can do it. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
***
Gratitude Journal
***
 
1) I'm grateful that I survived this day and didn't kill anyone.
 
2) I'm grateful for my friend. She helps me exercise and helps keep me accountable, and when I start to complain she reminds me about all the things I apparently have forgotten...I was complaining about how there's always too much to do and too little time, and I just went off on all the things that "had" to get done or that I wanted done, like yesterday, and all the things that I didn't want to do, like make dinner. She was so sweet, she just listened (even though she was probably thinking I was a little crazy), and then offered to bring me dinner. I about cried. It was delicious, and I'm so grateful for her.
 
3) FHE. We watched the scripture video about Nephi building the boat and I had the thought that Nephi was pretty amazing. His brothers tried to kill him how many times? And yet he still was able to forgive them not once, not twice, but many times. FOR TRYING TO KILL HIM! Honestly...something to look up to.
 
4) Patience. I'm grateful for patience. I needed it today. The kids were full blown crazy, literally crying and whining all day and yelling and hitting and Riley was taking her diaper off and peeing everywhere..........................I had to take a lot of deep breathes and take a few ibuprofen because of the headaches. I love them, but oh my goodness.
 
5) Today is done. I'm so grateful that I survived today. I did two loads of laundry, I finished a chore, I exercised, I made breakfast and lunch, I tried to sell the stroller and the lady didn't show and wouldn't return my call or text and so I tried really hard to give her the benefit of the doubt instead of thinking that she's an awful person and if she didn't want the stroller all she had to do was say so instead of stringing me along and save me some gas...And then I thought oh hey lets do something fun today so I tried to work on Jacob's costume, and I cut crooked...I think I can fix it, but I'm sad it's not as perfect as it could have been...and the spirit was telling me to take a break and I didn't listen...I'm just so glad today is done. I'm ready for bed and for Tuesday to be here already.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS