May 13th - Mother's Day

Saturday, May 13, 2017

I know that mothers day is tomorrow, but in 1992 it was today.



Everyone has a mother.

Most women love to mother others. 

I know I do. 
I call everyone sweetheart, 
and I can't help but, well, help. 
We were at my cousin's open house, 
and I was wiping my cousin's chocolate covered faces. 
We were babysitting, and I gave the tired and dirty baby a bath.


But most women don't know how to be mothered.


Start Quote
Many women I know share 
seldom-expressed yearning 
to be comforted. 

To be mothered.

This voracious need is deep, palpable
-and often unrequited.
[You have no idea how many times I call my mom...
I think about calling her even more than I actually do]



Instead, we are the ones who usually provide comfort, 
caught between the pressing needs of our children,
our elderly parents, our partners, our friends, even our colleagues. 


Though we are grown, we never outgrow the need for someone special 
to hold us close, stroke our hair, tuck us into bed, and reassure us 
that tomorrow all will be well. 

Perhaps we need to reacquaint ourselves consciously with the maternal and deeply comforting dimension of Divinity 
in order to 
learn how to mother ourselves. 


The best way to start is to create
-as an act of worship-
a comfortable home that protects, nurtures, and sustains 
all who seek refuge within its walls.
End Quote





Sarah tells us about Gloria Steinem
and how after decades of taking care of others 
she didn't know how to take care of herself
-emotionally, psychologically, or physically. 


Small Quote
Nowhere was this truth more apparent than in her home.
She reveals in her book 
Revolution from Within: A Book of Self-Esteem
that her apartment was little more than 
'a closet where I changed clothes 
and dumped papers into cardboard boxes.'

Gradually she came to the belated awareness that 
one's home was 'a symbol of the self' 
and in her fifties created and began to enjoy her first real home. 



Today, as you walk through your own home,
think about ways that you can start to mother yourself
-every day, not just once a year-
in small but tangible ways.


There should be comfortable places from the living room to the bedroom that invite you to sit, sleep, relax, and reflect.

There should be small indulgences 
from the kitchen to the bathroom that pamper and please.

There should be sources of beauty throughout that inspire, 
order that restores, and the quiet grace of simplicity that soothes...



There is no more beautiful way of honoring the love of the feminine divinity waiting to mother us than by celebrating the temple where her Spirit dwells on earth.
End Quote






It doesn't matter what your circumstances are, 
even if not biologically. 



I love Elder Holland, 

And this one, To Every Mother.



I also love President Hinckley


And another from Elder Holland...




Happy Mother's Day,
to every woman. 






***
Gratitude Journal
***

1) Being a mother. I love the three babies that Robbie and I have created, and that I get to take care of them.





2) My mom. I couldn't imagine anyone better.
Three generations

Us girls, our last beach trip





3) My mother-in-law. I am very grateful that of all the women in the world, she is the mother of the man I love. 


4) My Nana and Grandmas. I absolutely adore them.







5) My aunts. I am very blessed to have such amazing women in my family.







No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS