August 24th - Working Mothers

Thursday, August 24, 2017

Today Sarah shares a lot about women artists that inspire her.








 

And her favorite,


Start Quote
Lilla Cabot Perry was a Victorian "working mother"
a century before that ridiculously redundant phrase 
entered American conversation.

In an age when women were expected to 
choose home and family over career,  
[an age I don't think we ever escaped from] 
many women found an authentic way 
to turn their everyday experience into art.

Their determination is a wellspring of inspiration.



Lilla was thirty when she painted her first picture
- a portrait of her baby, Margaret.


She thought painting might offer her the creative expression she craved after it became necessary to abandon poetry because "it was too absorbing an occupation for a mother of three small children." But painting allowed her to merge motherhood and art, for her work celebrated what she knew and loved best: her children.


Eventually her painting became as much a part of the family's daily round as eating and sleeping, as she cleverly enticed her little models to stand still by paying them each a nickel an hour...


It doesn't matter whether it's painting or poetry.

All that matters is that your creative passion 
does not get driven inward to become self-immolation...

Have you ever taken a watercolor, oil, or still-life drawing course just for fun? If an easel doesn't entice, what about the lure of a slanted artist's table: textile, product, fashion, graphic, greeting-card, or book illustration and design. Don't overlook printmaking, collage, sculpture, and photography...


Pursuing authenticity and raising a family 
needn't be mutually exclusive 
unless we insist on making them so.
End Quote






Being a mom is hard work, 
but it's even harder if we completely loose ourselves. 
If we aren't us anymore, we're not much good to anyone. 

Take care of yourself. 
Be creative. 







***
Gratitude Journal
***

1) Today a poor bird landed in our backyard, I think it was old and dying and couldn't fly anymore. Indy got to it and was trying to eat it. I took it away from her, and it was still alive! I called Robbie and asked him what I should do, because I knew I couldn't break it's neck. He told me to hit it with a shovel. I hated watching it suffer, and I knew I had to put it out of its misery. It was just laying in my hand, with its head resting on my fingers, eyes closed, barely breathing. That was really hard, taking a life. I hated it. I don't mind killing flies, or mosquitos, or cockroaches, but animals are totally different. I'm grateful that I was able to muster up that 20 seconds of insane courage. Poor thing. 

2) Otter pops. They are so cheap, and seriously keep my kids quiet for 20 minutes. 

3) Thrift stores. I found almost all the things I need for my halloween costume!

4) Workout. I have given up trying to work out by myself, I'm so grateful there is a group nearby that is free and awesome!

5) Waking up at 6 every morning for 4 days, kids waking up at 6:30, so I have half an hour to myself to read and pray, it's pretty awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS