January 20th - Diamonds

Friday, January 20, 2017

"Your diamonds are not in far distant mountains or in yonder seas; they are in your own backyard, if you but dig for them."
- Russell H. Conwell


The lecture "Acres of Diamonds" was given more than 6,000 times. The gist is a farmer sold his farm and left his family to travel the world looking for wealth. He looked and found nothing. He ended up homeless and alone, and ended his life. But the man who bought his farm was grateful for it and loved working hard. He had his family and enjoyed the fruits of his labors. One day he discovered that there was a diamond mine in his backyard, literally an acre of diamonds, and was wealthy beyond his wildest dreams. 

"Conwell used this parable to illustrate an extraordinary and wonderful message: within each of us lies a wellspring of abundance and the seeds of opportunity. 
For each of us there is a deeply personal dream waiting to be discovered and fulfilled. 
When we cherish our dream and then invest love, creative energy, perseverance, and passion in ourselves, we will achieve an authentic success." 

"Success...is as close as your own backyard."
-SBB

I found this when I searched for "acres of diamonds" on lds.org

“If I were to tell you in all seriousness that in your own backyard you could find an acre of diamonds, would you ignore the suggestion and take no trouble to search? Today, I am telling you with all the fervor of my soul that in easy reach there is a prize of inestimable worth. Diamonds can buy one food and shelter. Diamonds can embellish and decorate. But the prize that is within your grasp is more brilliant than jewels. It will not lose its sparkle, nor can it be stolen by thieves. I speak of the greatest gift—the gift of eternal life. It may not be obtained through mere asking; it cannot be purchased with money; hopeful wishing will not bring it; but it is available to men and women the world over who comply with the requirements” (Spencer W. Kimball, Faith Precedes the Miracle, p. 83).

I just found this talk and this day so touching. That God loves us so much to give us diamonds and more. 

How cool is that?




***
Gratitude Journal
***

1) Sad Days. I want to make it absolutely clear that my life is not perfect. I am not Mary Poppins every day, I am not happy every day, I do not get everything done I want to get done, I do not have patience with my kids all the time, sometimes I don't like them....Sometimes you can see someone's life online and think that it's perfect. I just wanted it to be clear that mine is not.

But even when I'm sad (it's been three days straight now, I strongly suspect my period has a lot to do with that, and the fact that my sister just died) I am grateful for this life. I'm grateful for sad music and movies that make me cry or at least start me crying so I can let it all out (don't we all feel better after a good cry?). I am grateful for sad days, and the rain, and that all sad days or weeks must come to an end and the sun will shine again, just maybe not today.

2) Robbie. I called him to talk, and after a few minutes we said goodbye. He called me a few minutes later apologizing for not giving me his full attention and really talked to me. I mean, how awesome is that?

3) Forgiveness. I was not a good mom today. I totally freaked out. Yelled, spanked, everything. I feel like the worst person in the world. Why is it that you have to go past the breaking point to reset? After a mommy time out, I went and apologized, and all three of my kids forgave me and hugged and kissed me. Jacob just held me. They are amazing.

4)  My dad called to tell me it was raining and to drive safely. I didn't think it was raining at my house. I went to take the trash out, and closed the door. I was not walking out in that. Thanks dad.

5) Watching the lighting with the kids. How exciting, and awe inspiring. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS