January 25th - Don't Procrastinate

Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Accept your reality
Bless all of your circumstances
AND WORK WITH WHAT YOU'VE GOT

This day spoke to me. I totally believed once upon a time that I could wait to do the things I wanted or needed to do, that there would always be more time, that I was just too busy right now. 

Sarah called me out. She called us all out.

"Many of us have secretly believed that we had to wait until things calmed down a bit before we started to get our act together. 
Tomorrow we'll begin discovering authentic pleasures. 
Tomorrow we'll treat ourselves better. 
Tomorrow we'll take the time to enjoy ourselves. 
Tomorrow, when everything calms down...

LIFE NEVER CALMS DOWN LONG ENOUGH FOR US TO WAIT UNTIL TOMORROW TO START LIVING THE LIVES WE DESERVE.

Life is always movement, always change, always unforeseen circumstances. There will ALWAYS BE SOMETHING trying to grab your attention."

Dang Sarah. That's brutal. But it's honest. 

I remember thinking that I could wait to do things I wanted to do. I remember thinking that in middle school, then in high school, then in college, and even when Jacob was born. After 25 years of life I could finally read this and say yes, this is true. 

I try and tell anyone who will listen this. Just like when I hear someone saying "sorry" when there is nothing to be sorry about, I tell them straight up that they have nothing to be sorry about. I usually threaten a sorry jar, like a swear jar but for sorrys. When people start talking about what they want to do, and naming off all their excuses, and they look so sad, I try and tell them to just do it, or at least start or try...but I try not to push it. No one likes it when you push your ideas on them...it's never effective. 

Sarah tries to convince you not to wait either.

"So what are we going to do about it?

We can stop waiting for life to become perfect and 
START WORKING WITH WHAT WE'VE GOT 
to make it as satisfying as we can.

We can accept, bless, give thanks, and get going...

Procrastination has robbed us of too many precious opportunities."

While it kind of sounds ominous and daunting, she says to start small. 
Start with doing one thing that would give you a moment of happiness today. 

Procrastination, now that's a scary word.

"I beseech of you that ye do not procrastinate the day of your repentance until the end; for after this day of life, which is given us to prepare for eternity, behold, if we do not improve our time while in this life, then cometh the night of darkness wherein there can be no labor performed." -BOM

Here are a few talks that I really enjoyed. One from Elder Eyring, and this Q&A

I also thought of the parable of the talents, how if you don't make more with your life then what you're given you're just wasting it.

Procrastination doesn't just apply to repentance.

Make every day a day where you do something you love.
If you get a feeling or a thought that you need to do something, like be a better sister, do it. Right then and there. Don't wait until it's too late. Because one day, very unexpectedly, it will be too late.




***
Gratitude Journal
***

1) Vacuums. If I couldn't vacuum up all of the dog hair, and dirt, and little pieces of toilet paper littered and wadded up all over my house, I might just go crazy. I love my Dyson.

2) Washing Machines and Dryers. It is so nice to just put clothes in the machine and then the dryer, and I can just walk away and it's done! I feel like I'm multitasking.

3) Laundry dates. I have a mountain of laundry, so Robbie and I just put on a movie and fold together. It's nice that we can do little things like this together, still spending time together but getting done what needs done.

4) Pizza. Have you ever had Pizza Junction in Clovis? Amazing!

5) Family. Blood and adopted, that reach out to me because they know I'm busy. 

6) My Piano Students. I had a funny conversation today. I give my students candy after every lesson, and I told him they were Hanukkah chocolate coins, and he looked at me funny and said "You're Jewish?"...no, I go to the same church you do...with another look "Your husband's Jewish?"...no, he goes to the same church you do too, I have an adopted Grandma who is Jewish...a even more shocked look "You're ADOPTED?!" ...NO...I love these kids, they are seriously so funny. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS