April 10th - Thrift-Shop Pleasures

Monday, April 10, 2017

"Beauty is altogether in the eyes of the beholder."


Have you ever heard the song Thrift Shop by Macklemore & Ryan Lewis?

This song is not for everyone. 
Although I love it. 
A little less now that I know how much profanity is covered up
(I accidentally listened to the first 30 seconds of the unedited version...whoops.)


If you know it, you can hum along
"I'm gonna pop some tags, 
only got $20 in my pocket, 
hm hm hm hm hmm, 
hm hm hm hm hmmm, 
this is hmmm awesome..."



Start Quote
Let us speak today of the rapturous joys of recycling...

There are bountiful bargains with your name on them 
to be foraged from thrift shops, consignment stores, 
and vintage clothing boutiques. 
[don't forget yard sales!]


Every sane woman needs to have tried-and-true 
new-to-you recycling centers up her sleeve. 

There are three different kinds for you to cultivate.

First,
there are the thrift shops, such as Goodwill and Salvation Army.
Because thrift shops sell merchandise donated to them, 
you never know the quality of what you might find, 
but it's always worth a look. 

[Second,]
Upscale consignment shops differ from thrift shops because 
these are the places where wealthy women 
who aspire to be fashionable 
discreetly sell off last season's sweethearts.

...
[Third,]
Vintage clothing boutiques stock one-of-a-kind 
classics from other decades...


...
There are a few ground rules [for success]...


You must be in the right frame of mind
Don't go when you're tired or stressed 
You can't rush; you need to take your time 
and you need to have your wits about you.
Go alone so that the experience can take on a meditative quality. 
Have no expectations of what you're going to find.
Just have a happy expectant attitude 
as if you were embarking on a treasure hunt...
Finally, you must haunt these hideaways regularly.
New merchandise is always coming in.

...
This week indulge in a new pleasure: thrifting. 

The thrill of finding thrift and adventure together 
makes them worth the search.
End Quote 






I haven't been thrifting in forever, 
because I've been trying to save money,
and I haven't had a babysitter and going with the kids sucks.

Well now I have a perfect excuse to go, 
lucky me.


I agree with all of her ground rules, but I firmly believe that thrifting with a best friend is also just as good as alone. But it has to be the right friend, the one who will look at everything with you, give you your space, take her time and not make you feel rushed, and then put on a fashion show together and laugh at all the great and horrible stuff you got (some things just look better on the hanger).




Here are some of my favorites. 


I don't feel comfortable going downtown, but there are a couple good ones down there. 
Also if you're looking for antiques, go to downtown Clovis. 

There are a couple more that I can't seem to find on google, 
but I'm going to go find them in person when I go this week. 
Stay tuned.



Did I miss any? 
Please let me know of any that I missed that you love, 
I would love to go check them out! 

Maybe with you?






***
Gratitude Journal
***

1) Not making connections. I wanted to walk to the elementary school to pick up paperwork for preschool, and then when I met up with my friend so we could walk together she reminded me that it was spring break. I was like, yeah, and? Oh yeah....duh. We had a nice walk and time at the park though. 

2) Planking for almost 2 1/2 minutes. I cheated a little. But it hurts so good, and the laughs and jokes we had were worth it. 

3) Good friends. They are few and far between, and I'm so grateful for the ones I have.

4) Sun. The sunrise, the warm afternoon sun, the sunset...I love everything about the sun.

5) Getting up at 6 so I could actually sincerely pray and study the scriptures and get myself ready before the chaos started... and what do you know, there was no chaos because by the time the kids got up I had already spent time on myself and felt ready to give my attention to them. And I didn't fall back asleep when I was tempted, I didn't even drift. Ready to do it again tomorrow. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS