April 13th - Love and Weight

Thursday, April 13, 2017

"Self-love is the only weight-losss aid 
that really works in the long run."




"Food is not our enemy. 


If we're alive, we're supposed to love to eat.

Food is the source of vital fuel our bodies convert to energy 
in order to survive.


Not wanting to eat
-as in anorexia or illness-
is a signal that something's seriously wrong with us.


Don't fight your hunger.


Instead, respect it and respond to it with nutritious food 
that appeals to all your senses..."



I learned a lot about food and the body in school.
Did you know that if you starve yourself your body goes into starvation mode, and it's like "oh no! Oh my goodness! I'm starving! I better hang on to every single calorie that enters my system!". So you actually gain weight by not eating.



You gain weight if you eat too much, you gain weight if you eat too little...
will the nightmare ever end?


Yes. When you're dead. 
And lets hope that that doesn't come for a long time. 


Another thing I learned in school,
DIETS DON'T WORK. 

Not really. 

The best one out there is Weight Watchers, because it teaches you to have a healthy relationship with your food. 

That's at least my opinion, and that of most of my college professors. 
And my mom. But what do we know...



Not only do diets not work, they suck.

You diet, you drop a little weight, the diet is unsustainable and unlivable, so you stop and you gain even more weight then you lost, then you diet again etc etc around and around and around we go...



"The only way to stop this heartbreaking cycle of self-loathing is to 
stop dieting and use our common sense.

Eat when you're hungry, drink when you're thirsty, sleep when you're tired, get in harmony with your body through regular exercise, and nourish your soul through prayer and meditation....


Every woman has a weight that's ideal for her
as opposed to an ideal weight.

This is the weight at which you feel the most comfortable, have the most energy, can stay well and feel good about how you look.

We can achieve that weight when we begin to trust our bodies."



Sarah quotes a Chinese sage Lao-Tzu,
"Be really whole and all things will come to you."
Sarah adds
"even how to finally make peace with our weight."



Do you remember that Christ asks us to be perfect? Matthew 5:48

I used to think, what the heck?!? 
How in the world are we supposed to keep that commandment? 

It's in the BOM too, Moroni 10:32. But there is a little more there, see the study guide. To be perfect, as used in the scriptures, is to be complete, and whole, and that we can't do it without Christ.



I have never had to deal with the trail of weight. 
I have always loved my weight, even if I didn't love my body.

But I have had the trial of being whole...I'm sure we all have.

If you do have this trial, don't be afraid to ask for help.

And to start loving yourself.









***
Gratitude Journal
***

Instead of five things, today I want to share my day with you.

Last night I woke up at midnight feeling like I had to throw up. I did not throw up, and I was very grateful that 15 minutes later I went back to sleep. Chase woke up crying around 3 for who knows why. At 6:30 everyone was awake. 

Even with a restless night, I'm grateful I still had the energy I needed to get through the day.

We finished off the carton of eggs, Robbie ate with us (a first in many a breakfast), and the twins screamed "more more!" And then after a stern look quietly asked "more please"....Unfortunately I didn't have any more eggs, the whole point was to use the rest of them so when I got more eggs at Costco that afternoon there would be room in the fridge for them. But I did have toast. And my sunny side up egg was delicious.

I'm grateful that my kids eat, and that they are learning manners, and that there was room made in my fridge for more groceries. 

Workout was killer, and the kids had a rough time and we had to leave a little early. We went straight to my aunt's to drop the kids off so I could go to my eye appointment, but they all had a stomach bug! No thank you. Sydney had been healthy for a couple days, so she came with me to help me.

I'm grateful that I was able to feel how strong, and how weak, I am. I'm also grateful that we left workout early, if we hadn't we wouldn't have had the time we needed to get gas and go grocery shopping before my eye exam.

We made it right on time. As we passed the checkout line the cashier was pretending to be a monster and my kids loved it. He kept growling at them as he moved throughout the store. He growled at them on and off for about 45 minutes............

So my appointment was at 11:30. So we broke out the goldfish (we even threw them for awhile, trying to get them into our mouths...we threw away a lot of goldfish). Whoever the doctor was seeing must have been crazy, because my eye appointment only lasted 15 minutes tops and the one I needed was only supposed to last not even 5. So we waited 45 minutes for a 5 minute appointment.... After the goldfish we did the strawberries we had just bought (yes, unwashed...), then bubbles (which I keep in the diaper bag for just such emergencies), then paper bags (I showed them how to blow into them and that they could be puppets), then got them out of the shopping cart and let them run back and forth from point A to point B, then I grabbed some large boxes and told them they were cars and to go vroom vroom, then Sydney and I pushed them from point A to point B a few times, then we broke out the bandaids I bought, and I gave Jacob my pen so he could color/poke holes in his car...

I did everything I could think of, and I wouldn't have been able to do it without Sydney. If there is one thing worse than grocery shopping with kids, it's the kids being miserable and whining and crying, and I was going to do everything in my power to prevent that from happening. 

And then finally it was my turn! 5 minutes and we were out of there! I took the twins and packed up the car, while Sydney and Jacob went to stand in line for our lunch. I got back just when she was at the counter. I went to get everyone drinks telling the kids to stay with me, and Chase walks off...scared me half to death. We all get seated and Sydney still isn't back. I tell the kids to stay put, go see what's up...apparently they forgot about her? Even though they were serving the next person in line? Stupid. 

We ate, and Chase fell through the chair and table flinging his cup of Sierra Mist up into the air with it landing all over him and the chair and table. Finally, we were on our way home. 
The twins passed out. 

I'm grateful that through all of that I was able to have a good attitude. And that even with all the crazy that happened, my darling cousin said she had fun. She mentioned that lots of people starred at us, and I told her that it didn't matter. I know that I'm doing the best I can, God knows that I'm doing the best I can, my kids know that I'm doing the best I can and that I love them...so it doesn't really matter what they think. 

I also bought a new vacuum!!!!! So mine has been dead, but I've been slow to realize it. Yesterday I vacuumed my room 6 times and there was still hair all over the floor. I decided on the Shark because it was less than half the price of the Dyson ON SALE (which is the vacuum I had before). $150 for this beauty.

One of my lessons canceled, and the other got pushed back, so I had plenty of time to test it out.

Oh. My. Goodness. 

This was the first time, and this was JUST my room.
Completely full.
I had to get pictures for proof. 
Apparently my old Dyson (6 years old) was not doing a good job AT ALL, if after 6 times yesterday it was hardly pulling up anything and then the Shark comes along and pulls up this much on the first run.

The second time it was half full.

Third time.

Fourth Time.

You best believe tomorrow I'm going to vacuum till nothing comes up.

I'm really, really, really, really, REALLY grateful that we could buy this amazing machine of amazingness.

And purple carrots in the fried rice for dinner, delicious and beautiful.

And what's fried rice without a ton of green onion grown in the window box planter right outside your kitchen window? 

And then watching a movie with the kids, and then playing a game with them. They didn't want to go to bed, so I said I want to! And I laid down on the floor with the dog and said, 
"Good night!"
"No mom", they said, "that's not your bed." 
"Oh! I know where my bed is, I'll race you!". 
Up the stairs we all went, and I climbed into Jacob's bed. 
"No mom, that's not your bed, that's my bed." 
"Oh, okay, well mine must be this one" as I climbed into Chase's bed.
Chase cried at me, and after asking him to use his words he got out "mine."
"Oh, okay, well then this one must be mine" as I ran to Riley's room and got into her bed. 
"No mom" they were all laughing then. 
"No? Well where is my bed?"
"Here!" and they ran to my room and pointed at my bed.
"Oh, over here?" My bed is close to my bathroom, so I continued to play dumb and curled up in the bathtub.
"No mom, that's a bathtub, you'll get wet".
"Oh, I don't want to do that."
"This is your bed!"
"Oh this! Thank you, I knew that" as I crawled under it and started to snore.
"No mom! Up here!"
"Are you sure? Well okay."
"No mom! Your feet don't go on the pillow!"...
By the time I finally got all tucked in, they had forgotten that we hadn't finished the movie. Teeth brushed, diapers changed, potty flushed, pjs on, primary song sang, and prayers said...big hugs and kisses, a little more crying...

I am so grateful for this life God has given me.


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS