March 26th - Unspoken Language

Sunday, March 26, 2017

"To choose clothes, 
either in a store or at home, 
is to define and describe ourselves."



Sarah said
"Alison Lurie tells us in her fascinating book 
that the vocabulary of our wardrobe conveys much more 
than we ever dreamed possible."



"Long before I am near enough to talk to you on the street, in a meeting, or at a party, you announce your sex, age and class to me through what you are wearing - and very possibly give me important information (or misinformation) as to your occupation, origin, personality, opinions, tastes, sexual desires and current mood. 

I may not be able to put what I observe into words, 
but I register the information unconsciously;

and you simultaneously do the same for me. 

By the time we meet and converse we have already spoken to each other 
in an older and more universal tongue."
-Alison Lurie


"You can learn how to become not only bilingual 
but fluent in expressing yourself."




I've heard people say that it doesn't matter what you look like. 
I remember saying it myself. 
But I do believe that I only said it because I was self-conscious. 
Because other people judged me 
and I was unhappy and uncertain with how I looked. 


But now, I understand and accept that what I look like says something. 







***
Gratitude Journal
***

1) Kids are on the mend.

2) Now I'm sick. At least it's just me now.

3) Toilets.

4) A bed that is less than 10 ft from the bathroom.

5) Fraiser. Silly silly people are so funny. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS