March 4th - Priming the Pump

Saturday, March 4, 2017

"The well of Providence is deep.
It's the buckets we bring to it that are small."

Did you know that old fashioned wells you had to pour water into it before it would get going? You had to give water to get water.

I thought that was a bunch of bologna, but my dad confirmed it so I looked it up.

"The pump should never be operated without water to eliminate damage to the leather cup. Always fill the pump with water (called priming the pump) before operating the pump. Prime the pump by pouring water in the top of the pump until it flows out of the spout. Wait 4 or 5 minutes while the leather cup swells enough to make contact with the pump wall. Using short strokes, raise and lower the handle until the suction pipe fills with water. Add more water in the top of the pump if necessary. If the pump will not prime then check for leaks on the suction side. A leak will prevent the pump from priming."



If you don't add water, the pump will not work.

Turns out the same goes for the well of inspiration.

Sarah tells us how to do this.
"You need to create a reassuring ritual for yourself to access your inner reservoir - that place deep within you inhabited by imagination."

Whatever you're trying to get inspiration on, why not start up a little ritual?

I actually have one. I think a lot of us probably do something like this.

It's when wake up and I need some serious strength to get through the day. Robbie and I cuddle and hit the snooze so we can dream a little, imagine. Then I pray, I read scriptures, I help the kids do the same, and I get dressed and ready to go...I literally put my game face on. This is one of my pump priming rituals so that I can have the spirit with me to help me be a good mom throughout the day.

I think other than my morning ritual, that's all I've got.
Maybe I could do with a few more.

Sarah has a ritual for getting inspiration for writing. She sits in bed with a cup of tea from the same mug, listens to the same music, reads some of her favorite authors, and then lets inspiration flow.

How about you?




***
Gratitude Journal
***

1) Little toddlers who say they don't need a nap and then fall asleep in the car. Out like a light.

2) The sounds of nature. The bees, the frogs, the birds, the wind, the creek. It's really amazing.

3) Being productive. There really is nothing like your mom saying gently "let's get to work" to get your butt moving.

4) Internal motivation. I actually went for a run this afternoon. With my dog. I ran/walked for 20 minutes in the most beautiful weather. How cool is that!?!?
 Indy saying "come on slow poke"
"Come on slow poke, it's just a little hill...
another one that is...and then there are a few more after this..."

5) Nana. She can work miracles. Like painting a 2 year old's toes glittery red and making her sit still not just for the painting but till they dried. Riley did the cutest laugh, apparently she loves it when Nana does her nails.






No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS