July 8th - Soul Food

Saturday, July 8, 2017

"Soul food is just what the name implies. 
It is soulfully cooked food or richly flavored food,
good for your ever-loving soul."


I loved hearing about your favorite comfort foods.

Today, lets talk soul.



Start Quote
Soul food is our personal passport to the past. 
It is much more about heritage than it is about hominy...

It's "a legacy clearly steeped in tradition;
a way of life that has been handed down 
from generation to generation."...

Soul food is universal culinary memories, stories, and recipes.
It's how to fry the chicken or the wonton, shape the noodles, 
simmer the brisket, roll the tortillas, sweeten the iced tea...

When preparing soul food, we can't cook by the book 
but rather by instinct, by using our senses. 
"You learn to hear by the crackling sound 
when it's time to turn over the fried chicken, 
to smell when a pan of biscuits is just about to finish baking, 
and to feel when a pastry's just right to the touch," 
Sheila Ferguson tells us. 
"You taste, rather than measure, the seasoning you treasure; 
and you use your eyes, not a clock 
to judge when that cherry pie has bubbled sweet and nice. 

These skills are hard to teach quickly. 
They must be felt...and come straight from the heart and soul."
End Quote





Over the past 7 years of my marriage I've gotten a lot better at cooking. 
I'm learning to trust myself, to experiment, and to really get good at some of the classics. 

You have no idea how long it took me to get parmesan chicken down. I've yet to master Grandma's rolls, and I don't think I've even attempted a pie...

But I'm looking forward to the years to come, 
to keep cooking.






***
Gratitude Journal
***

1) A productive Saturday with the family.

2) Supernatural. I'm getting into episodes I've never seen before, and they're great. 

3) Cuddling my babies before bed. They love it, I love it...

4) Water. Water is amazing.

5) I'm so excited for tomorrow! It's Sunday! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS