July 19th - Creative Priorities

Wednesday, July 19, 2017

"We are...rather proud of ourselves 
for having slipped creative work in there 
between the domestic chores and obligations."


Start Quote
But the house calls to us.
The children call to us.
The work calls to us.


When, then, does the painting or the poem call to us?




Probably every day.

But we're too busy listening to everybody else 
instead of to our authentic selves. 




Maybe it's because we've convinced ourselves 
that we really don't have the time for 
personal pursuits that bring us contentment 
if they take longer than fifteen minutes...


No time to be passionate, we have to be practical.


Essential, uncompromised longings
will have to wait until there's more time:
when the children are back in school,
when Mom's feeling better, 
when things let up at the office...



[Ask yourself some questions, like are you]
ready to admit that pursuing [your authentic passions]
is essential [to your] happiness?

How about, "I haven't learned yet 
how to put myself on the list of priorities?"

Notice I didn't suggest putting yourself first;
I just want to get you on the list...



Perhaps we think that only
food, drink, work, sex, shopping, or pills
can reduce the gnawing to a dull throb. 



But maybe if we took an hour a day to 
paint, to plot, or to throw pots 
we wouldn't be in pain
- physical or psychic.


Just maybe.
End Quote



"It seems to me we can never give up longing and wishing 
while we are thoroughly alive. 
There are certain things we feel to be beautiful and good 
and we must hunger after them."





I used to say, oh I'll do things when things calm down at school...
well then I got married and graduated and had kids...
now it's, oh I'll do things when the kids grow up.


There is ALWAYS going to be something else that 
NEEDS to be done.


So why not take the time to be happy and creative?


There's no better time then now. 







***
Gratitude Journal
***

1) Running. We only ran a mile, but it was so much better then doing nothing.

2) Creative urges. I want to make dresses for Riley out of my old shirts, and gosh darn it I'm going to do it. It's gonna happen...I just have to make it a priority.

3) Music. I made that a priority today.

4) Finished sanding the bench, and Robbie stained it. FINALLY! 

5) Showers. I'm covered in saw dust and sweat, I'm so ready to get clean! Robbie told me about his coworker, who when he was a boy had to go to the river with his family to get their water for the day. Running, warm water is a luxury. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS