June 25th - Getting Started

Sunday, June 25, 2017

Start Quote
How does your garden grow?

Does it grow at all?


If you're having a hard time realizing the garden 
that lives inside your heart, 
there's a way, 
if there's a desire.



Perhaps you don't have a backyard...
that doesn't have to stop you.


Some of the prettiest gardens I've ever seen 
have been on front stoops. 

If you have a balcony or a patio, 
you can create breathtaking container gardens...



If you don't have a balcony or a patio,
interior window boxes can provide you with 
blooming miniature gardens of seasonal plants all year long. 

[My window box is this one, and the birds pick it to shreds. 
Never again.]





If you're fortunate enough to have a bit of earth 
to call your own, make the most of it...


Decide to concentrate on just one spot this year.


Now get yourself a copy of Barbara Damrosch's 

 




[Barbara advises us to] "keep the green side up...
Good gardening is very simple, really. 
You just have to learn to think like a plant."...




A wonderful way to actually start gardening 
is to send for spring bulb catalogs now. 


Bulbs need to be planted in the fall, 
either in late October or early November before the first frost, 
so the summer is the right time to start 
stockpiling visions of grandeur...


Pay little heed to the accepted wisdom 
that instructs you to space the bulbs apart. 

I did that when we first moved into our home 
and ended up with the most pathetic border ever grown...

I asked a gardener his secret for abundant blooming. 
He told me to plant at least six bulbs in each hole 
(create a circle of bulbs in the hole with one bulb in the center) 
and space your holes closer together. 
The result was stunning. 
End Quote


"Let no one be discouraged by the thought 
of how much there is to learn...
Each new step becomes a little surer, 
and each new grasp a little firmer."



I love bulbs. 

I love them because they are very low maintenance, 
they come back every year, and they multiply!

I had a bunch of naked ladies surrounding my garden at Delbert. 
We didn't stay long enough for them to bloom.
Which made me super sad.


So I googled bulb catalog and here's what I found.
Dutch Bulbs will send you a free catalog,
and the Kitchen Garden Seeds for vegetables. 

And so much more! 

But I'm exhausted and ready for bed. 

I signed up for these catalogs, 
I'll tell you how it goes! 








***
Gratitude Journal
***

1) Sundays. Today was a great day. I totally needed a spiritual pick me up, and I got it. 

2) Watching my kids do really cool awesome things. Like be reverent during sacrament meeting. Sharing with each other. Being kind and comforting each other. 

3) It's bed time.

4) Finishing season 6 of Supernatural.

5) Second chances.




No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS